For us

Complex Ovech was built in the 80`s and renovated in 2015. It`s situated right next to Ovech castle. The incredible view, delicious restaurant menu and the cosy atmosphere would make your visit here an unforgettable experience. You’re more than welcome to visit us and enjoy the powerful beauty of nature and a lot of new tastes and flavors.

Provadia is the site of Solnitsata, Europe’s oldest prehistoric town. Excavations on city walls that started in 2005 reveal a town that dates back to between 4,700 BC and 4,200 BC.It is believed to have been the site of salt trading.

Historical names of the medieval fortress, the ruins of which have been preserved until today, include Provat Byzantine Greek,Ovech (Овеч, Bulgarian), Provanto Italian and Pravadı. The Greek name and its adaptations stem from the word πρόβατο, provato, “sheep”, and the medieval Bulgarian name corresponds directly (being derived from, ovtsa, with the same meaning. The fortress is open for visitors.

During the Middle Ages the town was a key centre of the First Bulgarian Empire with an important monastery at the modern village of Ravna, the church of which was consecrated on 23 April 897, and a major scriptorium of the Preslav Literary School. The rebel leader and subsequently emperor of Bulgaria Ivailo defeated a 10,000-strong Byzantine army near the city in 1279. During the Second Bulgarian Empire it was the seat of a metropolitan in the 14th century. Ovech was captured by the Ottomans in 1388 after a long siege.

In the 17th and 18th century Provadia was a commercial centre of the Ottoman Empire and was inhabited by many Jewish and Ragusan merchants. A 16th-17th-century Dubrovnik -style church still stands in the nearby village of Dobrina.

View to Provadia town from restaurant Complex Ovech

Panoramic view to Provadia

Ovech Fortress

The remains of an ancient fortress of Ovech are located on a high rocky hill, east of town of Provadia. It is surrounded from all sides by rocks and has a ship shape. The name Ovech origins from Slavic as transcription of the name “Ram Fortress” as it was called by Byzantines.
The fortress was built by the Byzantines in the IV century and was used by them to the beginning of VII century. After this the fortress become inactive for nearly a century. It is used again from XI century to the end of XVII century. Ovech fortress was part of a Byzantine defense system, hindering the invasion of northern tribes, and after it came under Bulgarian control, the fortress played key role in many battles during the First Bulgarian Kingdom. During the Second Bulgarian Kingdom, Ovech was already an important administrative and military centre.

Ovech Fortress - Provadia

Ovech Fortress – Provadia